Tuesday, August 17, 2010

Inopportune return to work

Tomorrow night I will begin another four-day rotation of work, my first full rotation since the end of July.  Unfortunately this comes at a very inopportune time.

Since I discovered yesterday that my house had been broken into, I've been going through some stages - different from the stages of grieving.  I started off at a level of bemused acceptance.  Now I have worked my way up to  full-blown paranoia.  Now that the thieves know that they can smash a window, go through a house (there was evidence that they had been on the second floor, though nothing was missing up there), cut out the pipes in the basement, and exit through the back door, all while making a hell of a racket (based on the window greenhouse and can of paint that the first person through the window apparently fell onto, and the footlocker of magazines that they knocked over while getting through a draft-blocked doorway), all without being challenged or apparently even noticed, will they be back to try for more?  And will they try doing the same thing on the other side of the house?  I've shut off the water coming into the house so that if they do, I won't have another water gusher situation, but I've also installed rudimentary alarms here and there.  Now I need to have a friend over to reattach the pipe to the water heater on the side that they didn't hit (the water pipes on either side were connected through the wall, and in stealing one they jarred the other loose), and have someone come over to repair the window, and have an insurance adjuster come by to calculate the damage.  At least some of this will probably take place on days when I should be sleeping before or after work - maybe even tomorrow.

There's something else going on this week that I won't discuss, other than to say that after five years it will bring my family closure, one way or another.

Finally, on Saturday is the big Gasstock concert.

Come to GAS STOCK! « NO FRACK MOUNTAIN
Susquehanna River Sentinel: My Trail of Tears
Gort42: Gas Stock Saturday
Circumlocution for Dummies: Real Housewives? Here? (scroll to the bottom section)

I knew from the start that I was scheduled to work this day, and once the layoffs began I knew I couldn't pass up the chance to work if it came along.  It has, and I cannot.  I'll have to count on my circle of fellow bloggers to be my eyes and ears at this event.

If I had been given a choice, I would gladly have worked last rotation and taken the layoff this rotation.  But I was not given that choice.  So now I'm off to work to earn a paycheck, for the next four nights at least.

1 comment:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Sorry to hear about the break in... It would make me nuts, too!