Friday, May 14, 2004

Another monkey with a blog!

We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.
Robert Wilensky 1951- : in Mail on Sunday 16 February 1997

This citation is from the Little Oxford Dictionary of Quotations. I can't remember where I first heard the quote, but for some reason I think it was in The Salmon of Doubt, Douglas Adams's final book. (Yes, I know there's a reference to an infinite number of monkeys that have worked out a script for Hamlet in The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy, but that isn't it.)

In case you're wondering, this is where I got the idea to call my blog "Another Monkey". The name also had a little to do with the Barenaked Ladies song "Another Postcard", which I found myself occasionally mis-singing as "Another monkey, of...chimpanzees..." It had very little to do with the myth of the Hundredth Monkey, although I seem to remember that there was a column in the old National Lampoon (by Matty Simmons, maybe?) by that name.

I'm just another monkey banging out a blog. I finally decided to create my own, after about two years kibitzing on other people's blogs. Rather than borrow time on their soapboxes, I've gotten one of my own.

So now that I have it, what will I do with it? I'm not quite sure. Certainly I'll use it to spout off my opinions on society, politics, religion, books, movies, whatever. Many of these will be half-cocked, and more than a few will be half-baked.

Will I use it to kvetch about work, family, and friends? I don't know. There's always a desire to show off what you've created to those closest to you, so I think I'll be fairly circumspect about what I say about them...unless, of course, they really, really deserve it.

So, anyway, that's about it for the first entry. I'll tell you more about myself as time goes by. For now, maybe I'll just fiddle with the template a bit and see what I can do to make the appearance more pleasing to me.

No comments: