Friday, August 06, 2010

Carrot Cake

I made this recipe on Wednesday. It didn't exactly work out: the end product is moist and delicious, with fantastic texture and mouth feel, but it did not firm up enough to release from the bundt pan. I intend to try it again, but this time in a loaf pan (which will also be its serving dish) and as cupcakes.

(NOTE, 5/18/2020: As I worked out nearly ten years ago, the issue was the eggs. I didn't use 4 of them, I used 2. No wonder the cake was light and fluffy. No wonder it didn't firm up. I made a mental note to use 3 eggs instead of 4 next time. Now, during the time of COVID-19, I guess next time has come.)

Carrot Cake

Ingredients:

2 1/2 cups sifted flour
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon mace
1/2 teaspoon salt

About 6 medium sized carrots, shredded (1 1/2 cups) (I used a grater and grated the carrots into pieces about 1.5 inches long, 1/6 inch wide and about one millimeter thick.)
1/4 cup buttermilk
(NOTE, 5/18/2020: To make buttermilk, add 1 tablespoon lemon juice or vinegar to 1 cup milk. So for 1/4 cup buttermilk, use 1/4 tablespoon = 3/4 teaspoon of lemon juice or vinegar.)

1 cup soft butter
2 cups sugar
4 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cups chopped walnuts (I broke the walnuts into raisin-sized pieces by hand - much easier than chopping)
3/4 cup raisins

Grease and flour 10 inch tube pan. (NOTE: As mentioned above, this didn't work out for me.)

Heat oven to 350 degrees (Fahrenheit.)

Sift together flour, baking soda, cinnamon, mace, and salt. (I couldn't find a sifter, so I used a wire mesh strainer and two bowls, pouring the ingredients from one bowl to the other several times through the strainer.)

Pour buttermilk into shredded carrots and toss lightly to blend well.

In a large bowl of mixer beat butter until creamy and add sugar. Mix eggs and vanilla and add to butter/sugar mixture; beat until fluffy.

Alternately stir in carrot mixture and sifted flour mixture. Beat only until well blended. (I mixed by hand using a wooden spoon.)

Stir in nuts and raisins.

Pour in pan. Bale 60-65 minutes.

Cool in pan 10 minutes and turn out on wire rack.

I iced with Cream Cheese Icing:

One 8 oz. package of cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup of butter, softened
4 cups powdered sugar

Blend together. Add milk by drops to soften - too much will make a runny icing.


This cake will be very moist. Close inspection should show the spices clearly. Each bite should include carrots, walnuts, and raisins.

No comments: