Monday, August 24, 2009

YouTube Monday: Yacht, "Psychic City"

Well, it's not my weekend, and it's probably not your weekend, but here's a song I first heard on a weekend, on the morning of Saturday, August 15 as I pulled into the parking lot of the Wilkes-Barre Township Walmart. It was on one of the local college radio stations - probably VMFM out of Marywood. The song is "Psychic City", by (as I learned just a little while ago) the duo Yacht.

YACHT - Psychic City (Voodoo City)

Yacht has more information about this song on their website. They also have an entry that links to a video for this song, which you should watch at your own risk.

When I first heard this song I thought it had a very punkish, rough, DIY feel to it that made me think it was an artifact from decades past. (It turns out it is - the precursor song was written in 1987.) Having seen the video I now can't shake the notion that this is hipster art-school Talking Heads-wannabee stuff.

Whatever. It's a strange, catchy song. Give it a listen and see what you think.

No comments: