Thursday, October 01, 2009

Helping the economy recover

It's been a good two days off. Yesterday I pulled an all-dayer: after coming home in the morning I ate breakfast, I lingered a bit, then popped up and mowed the lawn at my mom's house. After a shower I took my mom to an appointment, and then went on an odyssey of pumping my hard-earned cash back into the local economy: the Kung Fu Panda DVD for $7.99 from Kmart, a stack of comic books from a local comic book shop for which I plan to design a blog in a few months, cat food, cat litter, a scratching post, a CD of the greatest hits from local DJ's Daniels & Webster's first 5000 shows called "Sgt. Lumpy's Auto Parts Club Band", a non-stick tin for making oversized muffins, and several other items - including a large pizza with onions, black olives, and anchovies, and a six-pack of Dream Weaver Wheat beer on the side. Upon arriving home, realized that I hadn't eaten anything all day aside from some apple pie and coffee first thing in the morning, and promptly ate six slices of pizza and two beers. Read comic books until I fell asleep at 10:00 at night, some thirty-two hours after I first woke up the previous afternoon.

Got up this morning around 9:00. Made Shoo-Fly Cake, half the batch in the oversized muffin tin, the other half in a loaf pan. Read some blogs and began working on the day's blog post while eating one of the muffins. Ran across town to mow the lawn there. Set out some Fall decorations. Came back here for lunch, consisting of the last two slices of pizza and another Shoo-Fly muffin. Showered. Gave blood, which is why I made the iron-rich Shoo-Fly Cake. Bought some remaindered books at Barnes & Noble - Schulz and Peanuts by David Michaelis, Pontoon by Garrison Keillor, and The Onion's Our Dumb World. Bought the new Pearl Jam CD and a copy of Heavy Metal magazine at the Kingston branch of Joe Nardone's Gallery of Sound. Also bought some Halloween and Thanksgiving decorations at a nearby dollar store.

So. I've done my part to hep the economy recover. Have you done yours?

No comments: