Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Dreaming of Rapture Riders

A post on Dr. Isis's blog put me in mind of the music of Blondie. Debbie Harry was one of my childhood crushes. Still is, actually.

I heard this song for the first - and, until now, perhaps the only time - while I was in the McDonald's in Gatwick airport just outside of London, waiting to fly back to Ireland. It's a brilliant mash-up of "Rapture" by Blondie with "Riders on the Storm" by The Doors. I think much of the music in it is new, not taken from either song. It's called "Rapture Riders."



Watching this made me also want to watch one of my all-time favorite Blondie videos. Everything you need to know about the early eighties you can learn from this video. (This song is actually from 1979, and the video may predate the eighties as well.) It's also just a great song. "Dreaming" by Blondie.



Blondie is currently touring - I heard promos for a concert stop in New Jersey while I was at a friend's wedding a few months ago. You can check out the band's website here.

1 comment:

joy said...

Hope you don't go to see the Blondie concert, DB. There's nothing that can destroy those sweet childhood crush memories like seeing the singer you lusted after 15 or 20 years later. I'll never get over the horror of seeing the first Monkees reunion tour back in the mid-80s. I'd been SOOOOO in love with them when I was a pubescent girl. Oh, the crushing disappointment of seeing them as....OLD GUYS!!!! And, as I recall, Debra Harry wasn't exactly a kid when she was first a hit 20 years ago. Why, I think she's even older than ME!!!

joy