Sunday, October 11, 2009

What a difference four days make!

When I commuted to work last Monday afternoon the trees really had only just begun to turn. Shades of orange and gold were starting to creep into the edges of some leaves, although the occasional rogue tree had changed colors entirely. Yesterday afternoon was my first daylight commute since then, and I was surprised at how much the trees had changed in less than a week.

This is something I missed when I was on day shift. Driving in to work starting at 5:00 (or earlier) in the morning, driving home from work after 6:00 in the evening, I didn't see daylight on a work day for several months. Now I drive in in the late afternoon and drive home in the morning, and I get to see plenty of sunlight during those hours that I am not asleep.

If you'd like to see peak color in Northeastern Pennsylvania, you'd better plan on coming this way soon. Each of the next few weeks will present a different mix of colors, color intensities, and leaf coverage, and I don't know how long it will last!

No comments: