Sunday, July 05, 2009

Kittens and cashflow

Well, it's been a good four days off. I got a lot done, even on my first day, when I should have been asleep.

I have a serious cashflow issue thanks to the kittens. Initial visits cost $114 each. Multiply that by five. Bowie's one month checkup, with eye drops, cost $96 - without the eye drops I think it would have been $70. Gretchen and Rachel get their initial checkups this Friday, and then I need to schedule Thor and BlueBear's follow-ups for next week or the week after. A few weeks after that it will be time for Gretchen and Rachel's follow-ups. In about five months or so, the spay / neuter parade begins.

And then, of course, there's the kitten food, and kitten milk, and the kitty litter. So very much kitty litter.

I need to start working overtime to pay for all this. It will come out of my hide, but I cannot stand to be in debt. I need the money. AdSense ads aren't cutting it as a supplement - the revenue generated there amounts to pennies a day, if I'm lucky. It used to be more, but somewhere along the line things changed. I'd like to figure out what that change was, exactly.

As I write this I can hear a cat yowling outside my window. A cat in pain, or a cat in heat. Either way is a problem.

2 comments:

joy said...

DB..Perhaps, rather than personally adopting all of these stray cats, you should work on forming a "Feral Cat Neuter-&-Release Program" in your vicinity. Or perhaps your local humane society already has such a program in place & just needs to be directed to your neighborhood? I'm an animal lover like you and would like to save every stray in the world. However, this approach really isn't practical and isn't getting to the root of the problem. The latest approach to feral cats seems to be the Catch-"Fix"-Release method. I don't know if there is any data supporting this idea, but obviously catching & keeping every feral kitten just leaves an ecological nitch to be filled by MORE feral cats...and leads to bankruptcy and "animal hoarding" behavior on the part of well-meaning cat lovers.

Betz said...

Miss L would be proud of you saving all these cats DB!