Saturday, July 04, 2009

Fireworks in Nanticoke, July 4, 2009

It's the Fourth of July, and the City of Nanticoke put on a fireworks display. (Actually, it was the Nanticoke Housing Authority that sponsored it.) I can't recall if Nanticoke has done a show of its own in recent years, but this one was quite nice. I watched from the street alongside my mom's house, along with my mom, her neighbor, my brother, my sister-in-law, and my nephews. I set up my tripod and tried to remember how the "Fireworks" setting for my Nikon Coolpix L4 worked. I soon figured it out.

The display got started just after 9:00, while dusk had not yet fully darkened into night.

The wiggle in this image is due to the motion of the incendiaries, not to any camera shake on my part. I think.

A passing car leaves a trail on the CCD.

Not the finale. Not even close! This is just eight minutes in.

Palm trees! Still not the finale.

The beginning of the end.

Twenty-six minutes and one hundred and twenty-five photos later, it was all over.


Happy Fourth of July! I hope you had a good one, and came through with all your fingers intact!

2 comments:

hedera said...

I watched my fireworks on the 3rd, actually, in a reworked Ford assembly plant (now the Craneview Pavilion) in Richmond, California. I watched them through the clerestory windows in the building roof, while listening to the Oakland East Bay Symphony play John Philip Sousa marches. After they finished the 4 marches, the fireworks were still going, so they played the medley from West Side Story. It was quite an evening.

Betz said...

awesome pics!