Thursday, May 21, 2009

Truck on fire

As I was driving down interstate 81 this morning I saw a sight that brought back memories of a brisk September morning eight years ago: a thick plume of black smoke was rising straight up from the horizon ahead of me, hitting the cloud deck and getting carried by the wind.

What the hell is that? I thought. Based on its position, I thought it might be in Scranton. Could it be the hospital, the one that borders the highway? But as I got closer I saw that the smoke was actually from a more distant source. Avoca? I thought. My God, did a plane crash?

It wasn't a plane.

Truck Fire Shuts Down Interstate - WNEP

As I drove closer I saw the smoke pouring into the air like it was coming from the smokestack of a locomotive. I came around a bend and saw the source: a tractor-trailer, with both the tractor and trailer parts in flames. The cab was completely engulfed, and flames were towering at least a dozen feet above. If the driver didn't get out...well, there would be no possibility of survival. I hope the driver got out.

I passed the person who was taking the photos in the linked article, so this was exactly what I saw when I saw it.

Oddly enough, there was no slowdown of traffic on my side of the highway, no rubbernecking - until after we were clear of the accident. Then people slowed down for a mile or so. I think maybe what we had just seen was starting to sink in at that point.

I do hope the driver got out.

3 comments:

Jennifer said...

Yes, the driver got out and was not hurt. I imagine he was able to get out of the truck before the leaking fuel ignited. Isn't it amazing how one person can inconvenience so many? I hope that he and/or his company will have to foot the bill for the repairs.

D.B. Echo said...

Yeah, when I saw the updated article I went from being concerned to being angry. I'd be furious if I were one of the - what, ten thousand or so? - drivers who were delayed for hours because of this idiot's recklessnes.

Todd HellsKitchen said...

I'm glad I don't ever have to drive anywhere anymore!...