Tuesday, July 17, 2018

The dream of cats and dogs

I overslept this morning. I'm wearing myself out. Things seem to be getting worse and worse for my friend - or, at least, she's slipping farther and farther away from the person any of her friends thought they knew. The crisis with the Traitor Trump is escalating. And I had a dream.

There were Jehovah's Witnesses in the neighborhood. This isn't so unusual, in reality; they have a Kingdom Hall just a few blocks from here. Heck, I think my neighbors are Jehovah's Witnesses. But it's unusual to see them going door to door, proselytizing, and when they do, word spreads around the neighborhood fast. I think that's what was happening in this dream. I decided to chase them away - something I wouldn't do in real life - and somehow that involved opening our garage door. When I closed it a few hours later, I discovered that I had accidentally let in about a dozen cats.

I found myself standing in the garage, looking at a dozen cats who had arranged themselves into a semicircle. They were all staring at me, and each one had an empty bowl next to it. I looked at the cats closest to me and realized that at least two of them were not cats at all, but dogs, tiny, cat-sized dogs, with comically distorted features - one of them had a huge nose that covered much of its muzzle. But they had empty bowls, too, and I began going through the house looking for a dozen cans of cat food and a couple of cans of dog food. (We haven't bought dog food in a while, since Hershey died, and I tried to give away all the leftover cans of dog food to a local veterinary hospital, but I still find cans from time to time.)

And then the dream ended. Maybe that's when I woke up. I wonder where it would have gone from there.

No comments: