Saturday, May 29, 2010

It's All in the Game

The number of #1 pop hits co-written by Vice-Presidents of the United States is currently exactly one.



From Wikipedia:

"It's All in the Game" was a 1958 hit for Tommy Edwards. Carl Sigman composed the lyrics in 1951 to a wordless 1911 composition entitled "Melody in A Major," written by Charles Dawes, later Vice President of the United States under Calvin Coolidge.
In addition to scoring a popular hit - something he never lived to see, though the melody was a popular violin piece in his day, which eventually came to annoy him greatly - Charles Dawes also was a co-recipient of the Nobel Peace Prize. Al Gore has some catching up to do.

In researching this, I also found that Tommy Edwards was responsible for popularising a song my grandmother was fond of singing:



I know my grandmother was canny enough to get the meaning of "I Really Don't Want to Know," which could be politely retitled "I Know You're a Floozy, but Let's Pretend You're Not."

When I was a kid I always liked this Tommy Edwards song, which was frequently played on WNAK:

No comments: