Friday, May 07, 2010

The day after the National Day of Prayer

Well, the "National Day of Prayer" has come and gone, and I didn't hear a peep about it online, in the blogosphere or on Facebook. Maybe I just wasn't listening closely enough. Still, for all the scuttlebutt about it in these last few weeks, and for all the people on Facebook who have been "Like"-ing the prayer for President Obama's death*, I thought there would be a little more action out there.

I had a prayer that I'd been saying for the past few years, since shortly after Joseph Martino's installation as Bishop of the Scranton Diocese:
Lord, grant our Bishop wisdom, understanding, and compassion;
or, failing that, grant us a new Bishop.
Martino never did develop wisdom, understanding, or compassion. Instead he earned the "odium populi", the "hatred of the people", and was removed from office / resigned after a mere six years. After a lapse of nearly eight months, Joseph Bambera was installed as the new Bishop of Scranton.

And how is he doing? Well, considering that with a single act he managed to piss off both an outspoken local atheist and an outspoken local "traditionalist" (who wants to see a return to pre-Vatican II conditions in the Catholic Church), I have to say that on balance he's probably doing pretty well, so far.

Now, let me work on a prayer for all those people who "liked" the prayer for President Obama's death.


*"DEAR LORD, THIS YEAR YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTOR, PATRICK SWAYZIE. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE ACTRESS, FARAH FAWCETT. YOU TOOK MY FAVORITE SINGER, MICHAEL JACKSON. I JUST WANTED TO LET YOU KNOW, MY FAVORITE PRESIDENT IS BARACK OBAMA. AMEN". I find it amusing that whoever cooked this up didn't know how to spell "Swayze" or "Farrah."

1 comment:

...tom... said...

...

...reservedlol...

Gosh, I missed all the hub-bub over that I guess. But then, I detest spending time on 'evilbook'.


I suppose everyone would have 'liked it' just as much if it had said "MY FAVORITE VEGETABLE IS BRUSSEL SPROUTS" instead.

(YES ...oops. Yes, it hurt to type that in ALL CAPS ...and yes, the misspelling is intentional.)


Anyway . . ..


...tom...

P.S. Thanks for the quick e-mail about the shuttle last month ...or whenever it was recently. It apparently did not come down that early morning ...and I would have missed it anyway. But I did appreciate the kind thought.