Monday, June 15, 2009

Rain, sun, and traffic jams

Woke up this afternoon to the sound of thunder. It's been raining. Then the sun came out. Now it's nice and cool. Perfect weather for growing grass. Also perfect weather for cutting grass. Unfortunately, I'm heading off to work shortly.

A little more shortly than I would like. Just checked Facebook, and Jen posted this news story from WNEP:

Interstate 81 Traffic Alert

8:54 AM EDT, June 15, 2009

Drivers in part of Luzerne County face delays on Monday.

According to PennDOT, Interstate 81 northbound will be down to one near the Dupont/Pittston exit (174).

Crews will be making bridge repairs after an eight-foot hole opened up.

The work is scheduled to wrap up at 3 p.m.

This is directly along my commute, at the point I hit at 5:15 - 5:20. I have a friend who is on the road there now, coming the opposite way, and he called me to tell me the traffic is backed up on 81 for miles. He then called back to tell me that the latest reports on the radio say that construction will be going on until 4:30 - but I doubt that traffic will clear up anytime soon after that.

I'm going to leave early and take an alternate route. I hope 315 isn't too backed up...

1 comment:

hedera said...

It must be the day for it. We had a USPS big rig overturn on a major commute route at 2:30 this morning, and by the time I was up and listening to traffic reports (I don't, thank God, commute any more!), they were still saying "another 4 hours"... I admit that's less startling than an 8 foot hole opening up in the road.