Sunday, June 21, 2009

Bald Eagle on the highway

As I was driving along Route 29 just outside of Nanticoke on the way home this morning, I spotted a larger-than-usual bird majestically rippling its wings just a few feet above the road surface as it came in for a landing. That's not a turkey vulture. That's not how turkey vulture wings move. Could that be a...?

A flash of white made it all-but certain. Bald Eagle!

It made its landing on the side of the road as I approached. I slowed down to get a better look at the majestic symbol of our nation in all its glory. I was suddenly aware of an overpowering odor.

As I drove past I saw the proud, powerful bird lower its head to begin pecking at the carcass of the dead skunk on the shoulder of the highway.

Hey, we all do what we gotta do to survive.

No comments: