Wednesday, January 03, 2007

The Cathy Baker label

My Site Meter is telling me that my site hits have gone through the roof since I switched over to the new version of Blogger. Maybe this is a result of some sort of automatic increase in Google rank granted as a reward for switching over - but somehow I don't think so, since a friend who switched over at the same time I did isn't showing a similar spike in her stats. (Please visit her site and have a look around!) Maybe it's just that my labeling and republishing of 10, 20, 50, or 100 posts in a single sitting is jiggling around the stuff that helps direct Google searches toward my site. Maybe. I don't know.

All I know is that in the last four days I have gotten hundreds of Google hits from people searching for Cathy Baker of Hee Haw fame.

Not just Cathy Baker. There are also searches for Cathie Baker and Kathy Baker and Kathie Baker - I'm not sure how they're hitting me. On New Year's Eve I got about 150 hits, more than double my average, most of them for some variation of her name.

In the past I've tried tying together all of my entries about her - most of which are meta-entries like this one - because I don't know which entry people are going to hit first, so I'd like them to be able to find what they're looking for regardless of where they came in. But now with category labels, that's easy. I've created a "Hee Haw/Cathy Baker" label that I'm using to tag all of the relevant entries. All someone will have to do is go to any of the posts, click on the tag, and they'll be presented with all of the Cathy Baker posts.

I sure hope this lady knows how many fans she's got!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

There was a Hee Haw marathon on the CMT (Country Music Television) cable netowrk during the holiday. That might explain the jump in Cathy Baker google searches.

D.B. Echo said...

Awww, double drat! First because I missed the marathon - not that I watched much television over the holidays anyway - but second because this means this will probably a temporary spike, like the one that happened back in July or so when they held an earlier marathon. Oh, well, maybe some of the people who come here searching for information about Cathy Baker will come back again sometime!

Anonymous said...

Ok, I'm going to add to your Kathy/Cathy/Kathie/Cathie Baker mystery. Two nights ago I was asleep and while dreaming, I heard a voice say to me "Kathy Baker". It woke me up and I thought I wished I'd had a notepad and pen by the bed so I could write this name down. Instead, I said it to myself several times so I would remember it in the morning. I did remember it and thought of it several times that day, but didn't google the name until today. The first result is your site. Why?? I don't know Cathy Baker from Hee Haw, or any Cathy Baker for that matter. Guess I'll go one to the next site and see what it brings.....Dee

Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd pop in to say, "hi"!

Cathie Baker