Saturday, October 29, 2005

Susquehanna at sunrise

Susquehanna at Sunrise
from Nanticoke-West Nanticoke Bridge,
10/29/2005, 7:32 AM

I woke up this morning extra-early, jumped right into the shower, had a quick breakfast, and was out of the house by 7:15. Not that I was going to work - I go in to work much later than that so that I have plenty of overlap with our customers in California. No, this morning I had an appointment with the sun on a bridge over the Susquehanna River.

Or so I thought. The sunrise was at 7:30 this morning, according to today's weather report. I figured I would be on the bridge by about 7:20 to capture any interesting pre-sunrise colors in the sky. Also, I know from my pre-dawn walks with Haley that the morning fog sometimes rolls in with the sunrise, so I figured I would have plenty of time to decide to abort my mission if that happened.

7:30 came and went with no big ball of fusing hydrogen making any dramatic appearance. The tinges of pink on the clouds near the top of the picture were the extent of the color show for the morning, and they lasted about ten to fifteen seconds. I decided that maybe I needed to allow extra time for the sun to clear the mountains in the east, and the cloud banks in the east, and the fog bank in the east, and the trees in the east...

By 8:20 I decided to hike back to my car and move on to my other planned subjects for the morning. I got a few worthwhile pictures that I will post later.

Today was expected to be bright and clear, but it looks like it will be overcast. Still, trees are now at peak color, and by this time next they may be stripped of their leaves. I will get what pictures I can, wherever I can!

No comments: