Saturday, July 17, 2010

Papers, please

OK, fun's over. Time to go back to work for four more days.

For many of my friends, this will be the beginning of their final two rotations. A lot of people in the first wave of layoffs - terminations, really - are scheduled to go in August, but rumor is that they will actually be cut at the end of the next rotation, just a few days before the end of the month.

I'm scheduled to be laid off - terminated - no later than the third week of December. But I could be cut any time before then.

Odd thing: After eighteen years of employment that included one previous involuntary separation, the company has decided that they have an irregularity in their records regarding my employment eligibility. I have been asked to bring in proof of my employment eligibility. Acceptable documents include an unexpired passport. My passport expires in less than two weeks, so I guess this comes at an opportune time. I don't see myself travelling internationally in the near future, but I suppose it won't hurt to renew my passport - especially when my next employer asks for proof of employment eligibility.

3 comments:

...tom... said...

...
hey there d.b....

you said...
"... especially when my next employer asks for proof of employment eligibility."

...drolllol...

Do not say that like it is a _bad_ thing.

If the forgery of state driver's licenses had not become such an easily accomplished and highly refined art . . .perhaps the passport route would not be necessary.


Just saying.


...tom...
.

Linkmeister said...

I think the price of a passport is going up soon, too. My first one was $10. Now it's nearly $200, I think.

D.B. Echo said...

...tom..., I'm not sure if these requirements have changed since I last went through this eighteen years ago. Back then I presented my driver's license and birth certificate.

Someone at work brought up an interesting question: assuming that we accept the explanation given for this - that a large number of the original documents contained minor technical errors such as dates being in the wrong place, scribble-outs, or other disqualifying items - what happened to the original copies of our documents? They should have copies of my 1992 driver's license and my birth certificate with the original document. Even if my driver's license needs to be updated, why isn't the copy of my birth certificate that they made eighteen years ago acceptable? Or did they lose all this critically sensitive information somehow?