Monday, April 26, 2010

Spring fever

Well, not fever exactly. More a sore throat, occasionally runny nose, and some sneezing.

I've had this for a few days now. I was sneezing quite a bit in work on Friday night. When I mowed the lawn on Saturday I noticed that the lilacs are currently in full bloom, so I'm wondering if there's a connection.

I don't get sick very often, and once I'm well I tend to forget about having been sick. That's why I created the "Sick" label for my blog. If I post at least once about being sick each time I'm sick, I'll be able to draw up a long-term history showing when, specifically, I get sick during the year.

I had a dream last night. A nightmare, not a dream, and technically this morning, sometime between 5:30 and 9:00. (I have not fully adjusted from night shift, and why should I? I go back to work on Wednesday night.) It was an end-of-the-world nightmare. The human race was being systematically hunted down and exterminated by Cybermen from Doctor Who - specifically, the pewter-hued Cybermen from the alternate Earth in the modern Doctor Who. Their method of extermination was simple, brutal, and efficient: Move into an area, thoroughly search the area, and kill any humans. (By shooting them. They were carrying some sort of cyber-rifles.) I was in a semi-deserted town with a friend, her daughter, and several other people who for whatever reason had not fled ahead of the advancing army of Cybermen. The last thing I remember from the dream was being in a sort of infirmary or group sleeping area on the third floor of an old boarding school, hiding under beds in different parts of the room - my friend and her daughter on one side of the room, me on the other. All the other people we had been with were dead or were in the process of being hunted down by the Cybermen. The Cybermen were searching the building where we were hiding, and we were hoping - ridiculously - that they would just pass us by. I woke up before I got to see how it ended.

I never have established if my nightmares are related to how I'm feeling, or what I'm eating, or anything else other than how soundly I'm sleeping - you only remember dreams if you wake up during them. We'll see if I have any more that I remember.

1 comment:

hedera said...

My, you remember your dreams in detail. All I can say about hiding from the Cybermen is: It didn't work for Anne Frank.

When I wake up from a desperate nightmare of a dream (and I sometimes do), I often find that I have to go pee.