Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Space weather report

I'm headed back to work for the next four nights, though I'll be out at 10 PM on Friday night. That means that if this event is going to be triggering any auroral displays, I'll probably miss them:

Stellar explosion - The Planetary Society Blog The Planetary Society

It's been a few years since I've seen an auroral display, a morning one while walking with my dog Haley. One BIG one I actually commemorated on a DVD we were putting together a few years back, a special edition of Terminator 2. The client left it up to my discretion to pick a logo from several possibilities to go before the movie. After reviewing them, I chose one with an auroral display, which I though fit in nicely with the dramatic nighttime battle scene that opens the film, and conveyed the sense of eerie dread that I felt while watching the lights in the sky dance and churn over my head just a few days before.

If you would like to get up-to-the-minute reports on auroral activity, check these links (available on my lower sidebar under "Other Site Links"):

http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapN.html (Northern hemisphere)
http://www.swpc.noaa.gov/pmap/pmapS.html (Southern hemisphere)

No comments: