Thursday, July 17, 2008

Songs about surprising things: Tasmin Archer, "Sleeping Satellite"

Tasmin Archer, "Sleeping Satellite":



I blame you for the moonlit sky
and the dream that died
with the
Eagle
's flight

I blame you for the moonlit nights
when I wonder why
are the Seas still dry?


The lyrics to this song aren't exactly subtle. But most people hear it as a song of a romance gone wrong - not as a criticism of the abandonment of the manned lunar exploration program. Which is what it is.

Did we fly to the Moon too soon?
Did we squander the chance?
In the rush of the race
the reason we chase is lost in romance?
And still we try
to justify the waste for a taste of man's
greatest adventure...


I mean, really. But it was not until years after this song had been off the charts that my sister pointed out to me what was being said here.

Have we lost what it takes to advance?
Have we peaked too soon?
If the world is so green
then why does it scream under a blue Moon?
We wonder why
if the Earth's sacrificed for the price of its
greatest treasure?


So what possessed Tasmin Archer to put these thoughts to music? Most people don't realize that the point of the space race wasn't about space, or putting dogs or monkeys or people in space, or even landing on the Moon. It was about us showing them damned Russkies that we could launch a missile and put a payload any damn place we pleased - even on the goddamn Moon! Take that, Ivan! Maybe the next one will be right in the middle of yer commie Red Square!

And when we shoot for the stars
- what a giant step! -
have we got what it takes
to carry the weight of this concept?
Or pass it by?
Like a shot in the dark miss the mark with a
sense of adventure?


And once we showed 'em it could be done, it was pretty much all over. Oh, sure, we did it again and again, but in the end the final Apollo missions generated about as much interest as a rerun of a third-rate movie of the week. Been there, done that, got the moon rocks and the jar of Tang.

I blame you for the moonlit sky
and the dream that died
with the
Eagle
's flight

I blame you for the moonlit nights
when I wonder why
are the Seas still dry?


So what happens next? We hear a lot of talk about new missions to the Moon, and Mars, and beyond. But what's driving that? Who is the current officeholder trying to impress with all that? And will there be any follow-through in the years to come?

Who knows? We'll see.

Don't blame this sleeping satellite...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for posting back in 2008 what I was about to write myself, probably not as measured as yours. While I was not listening to pop radio in 1992, I WAS one of the fortunate kids (age 5) to watch the 1969 jittery TV transmission, even more fortunate to know what it was all about.

Through my whole adult life I've felt a sadness that grew to concern, then alarm over the decades. For most of this time manned space exploration beyond orbit was just, "off the table" and even NASA has seemed complicit in silence. Even during the Shuttle years it seemed something had gone missing, unnoticed.

This song which I had never heard before and clicked into at random, hit me between the eyes. I caught Tasmin's whole drift in the first moments, "the dream that died with the Eagle's flight". What else could she mean. Even silly movies like The Dish [2000, recommended] bring tears to my eyes. So I eagerly went looking through the Youtube comments ( of this version, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lOqVQPq8zm8 ) looking for signs that people, especially young people, wanted to return to the Moon.

I expected to find some positive sentiment and even those bizarre naysayers who go out of their way to enumerate problems on Earth, as if that is an excuse, and most often just enjoy the sport of disagreeing.

What I actually found was worse. Absolutely nothing. Not a single person in the most recent few hundred comments seems to know the song's purpose. Not one! Oh they're remembering the song all right, they heard it as kids, discussing everything but. If this thing could not have explained the grandeur of Apollo and the angst of not returning to the Moon... could anything?

Anonymous said...

I just heard it on a 90s radio channel. I remembered how much I liked to listen to it on the radio, even though I only got the part ..the eagle's flight with my poor non-native English back then. With this joy I listened to the song on youtubr a number of times and re-read the lyrics to understand the hidden message behind it. Thanks a lot for explaining and I definitely agree on the previous comment,
As my wife always says "man should look for solutions to fix the earth and ways to stop the destruction, rather than spending enourmous time and resources seeking alternative planets at this moment." Even though I like the idea of exploring the deep space in sense of unrevealing the wisdom of everything,my wife is right as always and she is damn right as the song of Tasmin yields.