Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Some quick hits

  • I did pay a lot for this muffler. Again.


  • PSC gas station in West Nanticoke on Route 11: DON'T GO THERE. How can they be selling gas for $3.939/gallon when everyone else is charging $3.999/gallon or more? Read the fine print: $3.939 is the cash price. If you pay with a credit card, like I did, you'll pay $4.019 a gallon. So I've technically paid more than $4.00/gallon for gas, even though I could have paid $3.999/gallon at half a dozen places I drove past - or even less, if I had noticed the fine print. It doesn't make much difference, less than 56 cents on this fill-up, but it's the principle of the thing - especially after I just dropped a week-and-a-half's take-home pay on getting a new exhaust system. So, don't get ripped off. Don't go there.


  • Mozilla has apparently not resolved the js3250.dll problem with the release of Firefox 3, judging by my traffic. Oh, well.


  • There will not be "two Moons on August 27" this year, or any other year. Nor will this take place on August 28 of this year, which is what my Sitemeter keeps telling me people are searching on. Last year there was actually a cool coincidence around this - the Full Moon was eclipsed in the pre-dawn hours for much of North America, so someone who went to sleep to a bright white Full Moon would have woken up to a big red thing setting in the West that looked a hell of a lot like a Moon-sized version of Mars!


  • There are actually some cool things coming up, including a total solar eclipse on August 1 - most of Eurasia will get to see at least a partial eclipse, though the total bit will only be visible in the extreme North - and a lunar eclipse the night of August 16-17 visible everywhere but North America! Plus, Mary of Minersville should be making her appearance soon - assuming nobody has replaced any windows or planted any trees that will ruin the reflections!

No comments: