Tuesday, July 15, 2008

All a-Twitter

I went to visit some friends in the Poconos this weekend, for the first time in several months. I had a great time there. When I got back I went online to do my obligatory daily blog post, and then did my obligatory blog checks. (These are obligations only to myself, but obligations nonetheless.)

While on Charon Henning's Odd Angel Studios something in the fine print on her sidebar caught my attention. It was her Twitter display:

On the road at a truck stop outside Wilkes-Barre. If I had known I would have contacted you Databoy! Perhaps on our way back? - 05:49 PM July 09, 2008 from web

Arrgh! Charon and Alexander had blown through the area, on the way to a Renaissance Fair or some such event, and I had missed them! But now, thanks to her Twitter updates, I knew I had missed them!

Twitter is a cool idea for those people for whom it is somewhat applicable. It is a way of giving a moment-by-moment instantaneous account of your life - which is nice if you're, say, Tiffany, travelling to BlogHer, meeting Aussie superblogger* Missy at the airport. So the last few entries on Tiffany's Twitter go something like this:

supertiff I have secured a very pricey margarita to accompany me while a wait 4 missy to get through customs.

supertiff Has missy been flagged as a terrorist? Still waiting at the airport.

supertiff Man, i wish i could blog right now. Why has no one bought me a laptop?

supertiff And still waiting. I think they're taking her to gitmo.

supertiff Missy finally made it. We're back @fcm's, drinking wine. Can see ggbridge from the window!

But for others of us, or for those same people in other circumstances, it would be an agonizingly dull exercise.

Driving to work. 14 hours ago

Working. 13 hours ago

Driving home. 5 hours ago

Eating dinner. 3 hours ago

Updating my Twitter while posting a blog entry. 2 minutes ago


...which is pretty much what my blog sounds like most days! Good thing I don't send text messages on my cell phone, or things could be a lot worse.



*What makes her a superblogger? I dunno, I just like the sound of "Aussie superblogger."

3 comments:

MaryRuth said...

I couldn't even come up with 5 people to put on a T-Mobile account.

Missy said...

I was thinking the same thing, but it sounds cool. Don't let the truth get in the way of a cool-sounding phrase.

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm with you on the being too boring to use Twitter. Well that and I don't own a cell phone.