Friday, July 18, 2008

Lolly, lick a lolly!

I'm sure there's something else I should be writing about, but I just too tired to think right now.

This damned song has been caught in my head for over a week. I'm glad I looked it up, because it turns out I'm not the only one. Plus, the video is far more bizarre than I remember.

"Lolly, Lick a Lolly" from The Electric Company



If you imagine this music playing at half-speed, it seems almost majestic.

Keep in mind, this show was from the early to mid 1970's, and was targeted towards kids who had outgrown Sesame Street but were still open to educational television programs. The people who made it weren't stupid or naive. American society was just starting to recover from all the things that were the 1960's, and these people had been through them. Of course they knew how strange and suggestive this video was, but they did it anyway.

For some reason this song reminds me of the sections I think of as "The Processional" from the instrumental "The Brazilian" from the 1986 Genesis album Invisible Touch - starting, for example, at the 1:12 mark.



Now that I've written this, maybe this song will GET THE HELL OUT OF MY HEAD!

No comments: