Friday, June 01, 2007

Nothing day

Yesterday was weird. No classes needed attending, no garages needed painting, no concrete needed pouring, no trees needed planting. I have gotten so used to driving up to Scranton for classes at Career Link, to scraping and sanding and painting while bumblebees hover over my head, to hauling 80 lb. sacks of concrete out of my car and along the side of my house to mix and pour by hand, to digging holes and planting things, that it felt unnatural to basically have a day off. It was too hot to mow the lawn or use the computer, so my day consisted of taking my mom grocery shopping using one of the 20%-off coupons I got as a parting gift from work, driving out to see my brother's family's new kitten, and then dropping off and picking up my mom and aunt at the church where they were singing in the choir for the final graduation from Nanticoke's last remaining Catholic school.

(A side note: as a consequence of all that lifting and hauling and digging and scraping, I have developed some more-visible-than-usual muscles along my arms and shoulders, as well as a lovely unhealthy tan on my arms, face, and neck. These muscles, born of toil and effort, are often quite sore and are badly in need of massaging by a lovely young lady. Contact me via the e-mail address in the right-hand sidebar under "Contact Information" to arrange for a personal audition.)

Today I may assemble and use the new lawnmower I bought last week. It has a 20" cut as opposed to the old mower's 18" cut, which means I should be able to mow the lawn in slightly less time. It should be less scorchingly hot outside today than yesterday, when it was nearly 90 degrees Fahrenheit at midday, so there is a chance I will not die while mowing the lawn. Maybe. We'll see.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

When it gets really hot I like have my son mow the yard. When it is cooler I like to do it on occasion in order to say I don't have him do anything I don't do myself. If he really complains, I tell him he can always do the same to his son some day.

I'm sure there is a lesson in there somewhere ... I just don't see it.

Gort said...

I like it hot. I rather cut the grass than shovel snow anyday.

whimsical brainpan said...

It's gonna be a long summer and it hasn't even started yet.