Saturday, June 09, 2007

Beautiful day

A big storm blew through here yesterday, and the weather broke. Temperatures are down, humidity is down, the sky is blue and the birds are singing. I think I'm going to go visit some friends this weekend.

I've noticed that the ads on this site target better if you look at all the posts in a given category at once. If I open the post "The Moon, Venus, and Mercury" I see a lot of ads for Mercury cars. But if I go to the "Astronomy" category (or "label", as Blogger calls it) the ads will specifically target Astronomy-related products. The same with labels like "Death" (you get a lot of ads for memorials and things like that) and "Yard and garden". These ads function best for blogs that cover a single topic. This is also true of search functions - if your blog only deals with a single topic, you will be able to attract more searchers looking for information on that single topic. Unfortunately, my blog is all over the place, which confuses the hell out of the program that determines which ads to insert - currently most of the ads are about weather and blogging, but that can change. We'll just have to wait and see how well the ads perform.

By the way, I have to say that I absolutely love Blogger's new autosave function. I still crash sometimes (Firefox crashed halfway through this post) but now I can pick back up right where I left off, once I manage to get a browser to open. (Right now I'm finishing up the post in Internet Explorer.) It's great!

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Glad to know the humidity here will break soon!

I love Auto-Save, too...

My Firefox crashes too, especially when I start looking for images to add to my posts...

So the new Blogger feature has been a Godsend...

Also, there is a spell check now on comments... Very kewl!

whimsical brainpan said...

Auto-Save rules!

I know I that am in the minority but I never really liked Firefox.