Saturday, June 23, 2007

Deferred

Dammit. My iron levels were too low for a blood donation today, even after a week of eating red meat. I could try again next Saturday, but I've already got plans for that day.

I had other plans for today, too, but those got shifted when I found out that my nephew is playing his last two T-ball games this weekend, and there is a Mass for my uncle tomorrow. So today would have been a quick trip to hang out with a bunch of heavily-armed people making lots of noise for a few hours, followed by a drive home late in the evening. Even without being a pint low, the whole thing would be a bit stressful. So I opted for the T-ball game today, and perhaps planting some roses later this afternoon. (This would not have been possible with a hole in my left arm, so that worked out for me.)

Wow. Assuming I do not give blood next Saturday - which I do not intend to do - the next Saturday after that will be July 7. Time keeps ticking away.

2 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

At least you tried. Do you take vitamins? Are you getting enough protien?

D.B. Echo said...

I'm not taking vitamins, but maybe I should. And I thought I was getting enough protein, but it's mostly through eggs, fish, and yogurt. I also thought the Red Cross had relaxed the minimum iron requirements recently, from a count of 38 to one of 35. (I was at 37.) But this was someone I hadn't seen at the center ever before. Maybe she was using the old limits, or maybe the limit has been raised since my last donation.