Thursday, May 31, 2007

July in May

I slept late today. Even though I didn't do all that much yesterday - more of the day was devoted to a shopping trip to get the window glaze, a caulking gun, some new keys, and some decorations for the front windows, and then to redecorating the front windows, than it was to actually doing stuff that I consider work - I still felt like I had been hit by a truck. But I slept in, knowing that there would be no bumblebee taskmasters hovering over me today, reminding me that I should have done more when the weather was cool. For the moment I am done with doing things at the house. For the moment.

I need to keep this brief. The forecast is for July-like temperatures today, and I expect that this computer will spend much of the day masquerading as a brick. I need to figure out how much I can spend on a new computer in the next few weeks. I have about a 2-to-1 ratio of time spent trying to make this computer work to time actually spent using it. That doesn't really work for me if I want to be doing an internet-based job search.

I didn't want to believe the things I heard about sites like Careerbuilder and Monster.com, but it turns out that they're true. The special e-mail account I created for my job search is filling up with spam and scam e-mails. There may be a few legitimate job opportunities hidden in there, too, but that signal (if it's there at all) is being drowned out by the noise.

So, better sign off now while I still can. I've got the temperature down to 77.8 degrees Fahrenheit in here, and it's not even 10:30 AM. The computer has already crashed three times. I hope I find a job soon.

Title reference: It's a comment on the weather forecast for today and a play on the name of one of my favorite authors, Julian May.

1 comment:

whimsical brainpan said...

I'm sorry you still haven't found anything yet. You're in my thoughts.