Monday, June 25, 2007

On the other side

So here I am, with my new computer on my new DSL connection. Things aren't entirely bug-free yet - I had some connection issues this morning, and my speed isn't what I think it should be. This may have something to do with some settings that my friend and I will be going over today, or it may be that the phone lines in this house (DSL travels over phone lines) are the limiting factor. Also, colors seem a little washed-out, which doesn't really make sense since I'm using the same monitor as before with no settings changed.

Heh...
"The server at infospeed.verizon.net is taking too long to respond."

Well, I'll keep trying...

Update: With a direct connection between the modem and the PC, the speed is between 412 and 544 kb/s (51.5 and 67.9 kB/s). With the router between the modem and the PC, I'm having a hard time getting the test to run at all. Maybe the router doesn't like the test packets. I'll keep looking into it.

Update 2: Got a test to run with the router in between. On the first test the speed came out as 69.9 kb/s (8.7 kB/s). The second test got hung up and I cancelled it after a few minutes.

At any speed, it is sooooo nice not having to spend hours just trying to get online!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I got DSL a couple years ago and also had problems from the start. It would take a couple of attempts to sign on, and then I would get knocked off. I called for tech help, and the guy suggested changeing all the cords and things, so I did. That helped for a little while, but eventually, it got to the point where I couldn't even sign on! Ultimately, Verizon sent a guy over to the house and he fiddled with the phone line coming into the house. Everything's been fine since then.

Anonymous said...

I started switching to DSL 2 days ago. I'm having problems with pictures not showing up. Some do, just as on my dial-up account. Others show only the outline with a little red x box in it. On some sites, clicking the x brings up the picture. On others, like Comics Curmudgeon, clicking does nothing.
I hope someone has a simple settings change and I don't have to start talking to tech support.

D.B. Echo said...

I had that same problem with AOL a few versions ago. I looked and looked for a solution, assuming it was an overeager security program trying to protect me from either embedded code in jpegs or naughty pictures. In the end, a routine AOL update fixed the problem. So the bottom line is: I have no clue.

whimsical brainpan said...

Once again congrats on your new computer. I hope you get the bugs worked out soon.