Friday, April 06, 2007

Song Ref 41°N 93°W

I've decided that whenever I reference a song title or lyrics in a post, I will include a little note at the bottom identifying the song, the band, and (if possible) the album on which it appears.

I decided to do this after I wrote the post "Eggs (two different kinds)", the title of which references a Pink Floyd song from the album Animals. I've been receiving a lot of hits for the phrase "Every new beginning comes from some other beginning's end", which I used as a title for the post that announced that I had been cut from my job. I know this as a line from Semisonic's 1999 hit "Closing Time" but I never directly referenced it in the post. Now I have. I have also clarified the reference on the post "Never Gonna Be the Same".

It may be cooler and hipper to just leave the reference obfuscated and let readers try to figure it out for themselves. But I feel an obligation to provide information to people who have taken the time to visit my blog. And I hope they decide to stick around and come back to visit again and again.

Title reference: My Bloody Valentine's 1996 cover of Wire's Map Ref 41°N 93°W from the compilation album Whore: A Tribute to Wire. Here is Wire performing it:

3 comments:

- said...

Wow, you beat Sadly, No! by a matter of days: http://www.sadlyno.com/archives/5606.html

The MBV cover is perhaps the best track on Whore, and the album is one of the best of its kind.

Anonymous said...

I don't actually understand how this post's title references the MBV cover version, specifically.  That's more than a little bit weird.

D.B. Echo said...

I didn't know it was a Wire song when I decided on the title. I only knew it as a My Bloody Valentine song, and that was what I had in mind for the reference. So to say I was referencing a song by Wire would imply that I knew it was a song by Wire, which I didn't. The green text at the bottom was originally going to be "My Bloody Valentine's Map Ref 41°N 93°W" - which would be incorrect.

When I did a post about Christmas last November I got a bunch of hits for the title "Think I'll Miss This One This Year" and the words "Spice Girls". There's a whole generation out there that thinks this is a Spice Girls song, not a Waitresses song.