Friday, April 20, 2007

Beautiful, busy weekend

The weather has finally gotten nice. It's time that I get started on all those necessary home improvement jobs I've been putting off due to the weather. I have not accomplished any of that yet today, I've been running around too much taking care of odds and ends. (I took an O-NET test at Pennsylvania Career Link that indicates I am Investigative/Artistic/Social - a "Thinker". Gosh, can you imagine?) So, the bottom line is I will probably not be blogging much this weekend.

Here's one more picture of the Moon and Venus, this time showing the Earthshine that so many people have commented to me about. Earthshine is just sunlight reflected off the sunlit face of the Earth lighting up the parts of the Moon that are not in direct sunlight. (Fun fact: the phases of Earth as seen from the Moon are the opposite of whatever phase of the Moon is as seen from the Earth. So when we are seeing a thin crescent of the Moon just past "New", an observer on the Earth-facing side of the Moon would see a gibbous Earth just past "Full". Another fun fact: since the same side of the Moon faces the Earth at all times, the Earth always remains in the same place in the sky as seen from the Moon!)
Venus and the Moon showing Earthshine,
April 19 2007, 8:31 PM EDT

Have a great weekend!

1 comment:

whimsical brainpan said...

You have a great weekend too! And thank you for that bit about the phases of the Earth, I didn't know that.