Sunday, April 22, 2007

Cylon Moon

Five day old Moon, April 22, 2007 8:09 PM
Mare Tranquillitatis (Sea of Tranquility) at center of terminator

I remember watching this Moon once when I was a kid. I was sitting outside our house at a fake redwood picnic table - I'm pretty sure it was the first time I had read The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, which would put it in (I think) the Summer of 1981. High overhead there was a thick crescent of the moon, not quite at "First Quarter", clearly visible in the blue sky. Thin clouds blew in front of it, giving the impression that it was a spacecraft zipping through the atmosphere. It looked like one of the Cylon Raiders used in the original Battlestar Galactica series. Hence, I dubbed it the Cylon Moon.

Moon and Venus
April 22, 2007 8:25 PM EDT

It would have been nice if I had gotten a shot of the Moon and Venus Saturday night so we could have a complete sequence. Alas, my camera's batteries died before I had an opportunity. This may be the last shot in the series - by tomorrow I think the Moon and Venus will have moved far enough apart that I won't be able to fit them both in the same frame!

1 comment:

whimsical brainpan said...

Cylon moon, I love it (big BSG fan)!

Thank you so much for sharing the pics with us.