Monday, September 20, 2004

Ivan's aftermath

Hurricane Ivan caused considerable damage throughout Pennsylvania this weekend. Nanticoke was relatively unscathed, although there were a few flooded basements (I needed to pump mine, but the water never amounted to much more than 1/4" in the lowest corners of the cellar, and the pumps kept it confined there) and some flooding along the river. But communities on either side of us had extensive flooding, and some roads are still closed.

I was one of the idiots touring the area yesterday, trying to get a sense of the damage by driving along until I hit a roadblock, then turning around and taking alternate routes until I could find the first open point beyond that roadblock and driving until I hit another one. I didn't get many pictures - just one, of the "blast shielding" emergency dike extension blocking the Market Street bridge in Wilkes-Barre. But you'll just have to wait for me to get my film developed. (Sorry, Rimalicious, no digital camera yet!) You can go see lots of submitted photos of the regional devastation and damage at the WNEP-TV 16 Homepage .

No comments: