Thursday, July 31, 2008

Come in alone, 'cause I'm frail and bedazzled

I'm tired. Semi-cooked. I wasn't quite expecting to mow my lawn when I got home today, but I did anyway. The good news is, it hasn't been raining so very often lately, so the grass grew a lot less than it has in previous weeks. The bad news is, I had to water the plants at my house: two cherry trees, three Roses of Sharon, four sunflowers, five tomatoes, six blueberry bushes...hmm, that's an odd progression. Though the replacement cherry tree and two replacement blueberry bushes don't look like they're doing so well, so the numbers may not quite line up in the future.

I had the My Bloody Valentine song "Come In Alone" from Loveless stuck in my head as I wrapped things up, and I started to wonder how much Smashing Pumpkins were influenced by them. MBV has been called "the most influential band you've never heard of", and many bands trace at least some part of their heritage to them - especially to the Loveless album. If you don't have it yet, pick up a copy.


And if you have any chance of seeing them on the current tour - their first one in over fifteen years! - please do. And then tell me what it was like.


Here's the Smashing Pumpkins song "Frail and Bedazzled" in a fan-made video.

No comments: