Friday, May 18, 2018

Notes for May 18, 2018


- Woke up on the second day of my working vacation to the sound of someone propping a ladder against the house and climbing onto the roof. It was the insurance adjuster, there to check on our smashed window and ripped-off shingles from two separate storms- the first two storms of the year.

- Verified that my paycheck and bonus had been deposited, and then paid all my bills for the rest of the month, including my AAA renewal and my county real estate bill, which I didn't pay until November last year.

- Waited for the window guys to show up to replace our smashed window. They eventually showed up, removed the pane with the broken glass, and took it down to the truck to repair it - where they discovered the person who had measured the window for replacement had measured wrong, and the replacement glass was the wrong size. So they had to run back to the shop for another piece of glass. In the meantime, the broken window was now replaced with a gaping hole in the bay window, making it easy for bugs to fly in and cats to fall out. I blocked this as best I could with the foamboard and cardboard I had been using to patch the broken window.

- Took four bags of aluminum cans to the recycling center, instead of the usual six or more. They are currently paying fifty cents a pound for aluminum, but I only had eighteen pounds, so my haul was just nine dollars.

- Stopped at the Wilkes-Barre Post Office (just down the street from the scrapyard where I recycle cans) and mailed my AAA renewal and my county real estate tax, both with Mister Rodgers stamps. (Every other bill I paid online.) I tried to buy more, but was told they're sold out; they sell out as soon as they get a new supply. I'll need to order more online - I'm down to about thirteen.

- The window guys showed up again, and this time the replacement fit.

- Mowed the front and side yards for the second time this year. The grass was probably close to ten inches tall. I mowed the back yard several days ago, and it could have done with another mowing today, but I ran out of steam. I still haven't mowed the lawn for the first time this year at my house across town. That's a project for Sunday, weather permitting.

- The white azaleas in the front yard are in bloom, and probably bloomed yesterday. In the past they have been in bloom for Mothers' Day.

- Some of the irises are in bloom, and might have been in bloom for several days. The irises that I observed the other day had not yet opened have still not opened.

- One rhododendron is blooming, the one in the far corner of the yard near the composter. Other rhododendrons are not yet threatening to open.

- Lilies of the Valley are coming up and may bloom soon.

- And there was another mass shooting at a school, this one in Santa Fe, Texas. With days left to go in the school year, nine kids and one teacher have been murdered by a white male gun enthusiast armed with his father's shotgun and .38. (For once, a mass shooting not using an AR-15 or a knockoff.) He also injured ten others and had a much larger massacre in mind - he had set up explosive devices around the school grounds. Fortunately, none of them went off.

- Tomorrow: Dental appointment for my mom, dental appointment for me (different dentist, nearly three hours later), grocery shopping, library sale at the Mill Memorial Library, possible trip to the Fine Arts Fiesta in Wilkes-Barre, weather permitting.

Just another day...

No comments: