Friday, January 01, 2010

Brave New Year

Well, I can't very well start off 2010, a new year and a new decade, by missing a post.

I was up fairly late last night at a party at a friend's house. I realized this morning that I didn't have anything to drink all New Year's Day. In fact, all I had to eat at the party was a slice of the chocolate pie I had brought. (I filled up on lobster before going.)

Roads were treacherous coming home, even though the drive was less than a mile. I could have walked, I suppose, but I didn't feel like it. There were numerous accidents last night - maybe due to the snow that was falling through the night, maybe not. Human behavior is a stochastic process. Even if we accept the existence of free will and random chance, the fact is that some houses will burn down during the Christmas season due to hot lights on dry trees, and some people will die on New Year's Day in drunk driving accidents.

Spent some of the day with my nephews. I haven't seen them since Christmas Eve. I will see them again Sunday morning at a Christmas pageant.

I haven't done any calendar shopping yet, and I need at least one. I will try to take care of that tomorrow. And I will try to get in some visiting on Sunday afternoon, if my friends are around.

We have acquired an eleventh cat. One of Amber's brothers. I was hoping it was a sister - I really want to eliminate the litter-bearers from the ecosystem outside, but wouldn't mind having some stray males around to keep outsider cats from entering the territory. We thought this kitten was female and hard-of-hearing, but apparently he is neither. Hopefully once he has a clean bill of health we will be able to pass him off to my aunt whose dog died a few weeks ago.

I still haven't done the blog maintenance I spoke of earlier. I can't really bring myself to do it, to cut the final remnants of any connection to someone who has been a part of my online world for seven years. But she is gone. If she decides to come back and wants me to know about it, I'm sure she'll let me know directly.

Anyway. Forward into 2010.

No comments: