Tuesday, January 08, 2008

Who needs sleep?

I'm hoping I'll be getting more than four hours of sleep tonight...though at the moment, I can't expect much more than five.

Sunday night I was up due to restlessness, and the Internet. Yesterday I was up and online way too late, too, but then the next-door neighbor (who will be immortalized in a comic strip in just ten days) called because her cat had run away. So there was that going on, too. (She caught him shortly after 11:00.) Both times I was up bright and early at 3:00 in the morning.

I just signed up for the "call-in" list. If an emergency arises during my off-shift due to excessive call-offs and no coverage, I said it's OK for the company to call me to come in. The catch is, they generally call at 6:00 in the morning and tell you to be there as early as possible. On many of my days off, I am still up and (relatively) active until 3:00 or later. Going in to work on three hours of sleep or less is not particularly appealing to me. But I can definitely use the money. So I signed up.

Anyway. I'm gonna cut this short. It's already 9:31, and I still have to make my lunch, empty a dishwasher, and lay out my clothes for tomorrow. Take care! Freedom comes this Friday! At which point I can begin to deal with my broken speedometer...

Title Reference: "Who Needs Sleep?" by Barenaked Ladies.

2 comments:

whimsical brainpan said...

I don't know how you can function like that.

Anonymous said...

Man... the internet totally does that, too. You're like, SLEEP? What's sleep?