Tuesday, January 29, 2008

Some thoughts on turning 40

If you're a regular reader, you're probably aware that I craft a lot of these posts ahead of time. Oh, I don't write them, and re-write them, and polish and edit them - not outside of my skull, anyway. But I come up with an idea, and mentally lay out a basic outline of how I'd like the post to go and what conclusion I'd like to draw, work out a few key phrases, and then do a little research if it's called for.

I've had at least one post completely fall apart in the writing, which is a pity, because it's one of the half-dozen or so that I've had in mind since I started this blog. I haven't given up on it yet, but I may need to outline it on paper to make sure it stays on track.

Last night I was chatting with Ashley (who is cool and wonderful and you should really be reading her blog, Ink On Paper), and I suddenly hit her with a few projected lines from this post, which at that time was to be entitled "Staring Down the Barrel of a 40". I was really just whining about where I'm at right now and disappointments in my life - materially, financially, professionally, in terms of what has happened to so many of my friendships and relationships. And she made me realize that I shouldn't be measuring my life by these things, and that many other people feel the same way - like maybe this feeling is a universal, a general dissatisfaction with how our lives are turning out.

But there is one thing I have accomplished that I am happy with. One thing that I have done that I can say I'm proud of.

Me: "So when it comes to major accomplishments in my life...well, you're reading it. That's my legacy. A blog."
Ashley: Hey, it's a great blog with lots of readers who look forward to it every day. It's entertaining, you get to speak your mind and help others weigh the facts. Don't write it off so easily. Besides the fact that it has brought you many friends, from all over.

She's right.

I am happy with this blog. And I'm even happier about all of the people I have met through it. Here's to many more years of all of us being together out here.

To all of you who have sent birthday greetings or who have just been beaming happy thoughts my way: THANK YOU! I appreciate it more than you can ever know. Thank you, all of you, for making this blog worthwhile. And thank you all for making turning 40 a little easier to take.

11 comments:

Michelle HD said...

What the heck? Its your bday soon? How come I wasn't aware of this? Happy early bday!

Karen Jensen said...

Happy Birthday! I know-- there is something quite satisfying about blogging and getting to know new people through the written word. Heck, there is just something satisfying about having people who read what you write!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday!

Bill

anne said...

Ok, so I'm a day late. What's new?

Happy Birthday!

And! Don't sell yourself short. Ashley is right. Don't fall into the trap of focusing on the negative.

I would venture to guess that, if you really sit down and think about it objectively - when you're in the right mood for it - you will be able to find some more things you can be happy with. You seem like you are a wonderful son, a great friend, uncle, neighbor and employee. And you are nice to animals!

And I would also venture to guess that, if you listed all the things you wanted to be/accomplish in life, these things would top the list. So, there you go!

And you're only 40 - you have plenty of time to take care of the other things!

Anonymous said...

Happy Birthday, Harold! I remember my own 40th with pleasure, although it was, um, several years ago.

Few people are satisfied with their lives when they measure their accomplishments in terms of career, fame, romance, etc., which are all subject to chance, circumstance, and the orneriness of other people.

The only aspect of your life that you can completely control is your character. The affection of your friends should surely tell you how highly you are esteemed and valued! Success!

I'll never forget our great time at Felberpalooza! Hope we can meet in person again someday.

D.B. Echo said...

Thanks, everybody!

Michelle: No, actually, my birthday isn't for nearly another year! :) (See the end of my January 28 post.)

Thanks, everybody! And Ann, I do hope to get to meet you in person again sometime soon! Only this time, I hope I don't wind up with such a sore butt!

Gort said...

Happy Birthday and congrats on the new job Data Boy.

Please explain this sore butt thing and Ann's involvement in it:)

whimsical brainpan said...

Happy Birthday!
(sorry it's belated)

I saw something on the news last night that you might find interesting. In every culture, among every race, all over the world, the 40's is the age at which people are the unhappiest. The reason is pretty much what you're doing. Poeple take stock of their life and don't like what they see.

Ashley is right. Adjust your expectations. This life is not about things or even what most people would term "accomplishments". It is about touching lives, learning, and helping others. You do plenty of that my friend. Be proud!

hedera said...

Happy (belated) birthday, and given that my last one was numbah 61, and I'm creeping up on 62, you get zero sympathy from me about midlife crises.

On the other hand, whim is right about 40 and adjusting stuff. When I turned 40 I (a) got married again (still going), and (b) was in the middle of a (successful) 5 year drive to quit being a librarian (M.L.S. and 17 years experience) and get paid somehow for playing around with computers. I began my new career at 42. The next 20 years were exciting, interesting, and great.

You haven't even begun to fight!

And ashley's dead right about the blog. It's a great blog and I read it with pleasure.

D.B. Echo said...

Gort, two words: mountain bikes.

A few more words: a several-mile tour of the "Abandoned Turnpike" on mountain bikes hosted by Grouseland Tours back in September 2006. The stiff suspension and high seat of a properly-adjusted mountain bike can be murder for someone who hasn't ridden a bike of any sort in nearly 15 years!

Someday I'll do a full post - with pictures!

Anonymous said...

Yes...that's right. It was a mountain bike. Now I remember.