Tuesday, December 05, 2006

Schedule change

I work a late-ish shift - currently about 10:00 in the morning to 6:30 or 7:00 at night. I do this for several reasons.

Many of the clients I work with are in California, and many of them don't actually hit their stride workwise until about 3:00 in the afternoon, their time. So a large number of e-mails that require immediate attention come in from our clients after 6:00 our time. I can interact with the clients immediately at that point, and relay their information to the proper people in our facility for action first thing in the morning.

I also like working without the distraction of other people. This is not to say that I don't like working with other people, not at all. But my interactions tend to be so intense that it becomes difficult to focus on some of the more monastic aspects of my job. So to have an hour or two at the end of the day for me to silently focus is immensely beneficial to me, and ultimately to everyone else who depends on what I do.

On top of all that, I'm also extremely lazy and have a hard time getting out of the house very early.

Well, for the rest of this week I'll just have to adjust my morning schedule. Tomorrow I have a birthday party to go to in the afternoon, so I will have to leave work a few hours earlier than I usually do, which means I have to go in a few hours earlier. Thursday I have a dental appointment; I usually schedule my dental appointments for weekends, but the flooding a few weeks ago has thrown my dentist's schedule into turmoil. Friday we have a corporate Christmas party schedued in the early afternoon. No biggie here, but still, I have other people depending on me to feed them work. I can't just come in and work a half day.

So: no more lollygagging. No more checking the morning blogs, or seeing who's on MSN chat in the morning. No more screwing around. Rise and shine. Up and at 'em. Get a move on. Get to work.

For the rest of this week, anyway.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was nice meeting you Saturday. I guess I was in the minority, the music didn't bother me. However, it would have been better either lower or non-existent. Hope to get together again soon to exchange views on things.

anne said...

Ouch. Schedule changes that involve getting up earlier are never good. I just laid down the law - well, actually broke the news - to my hubby that I am not participating in the sloth fest that happens when we rent movies. We start them way too late in the evening, stay up too late, fall asleep on the couch, wake up at some ungodly hour and crawl up to bed and then I have to get up at 6am to feed animals. It's just not working out.
You have my sympathy on the early rising thing. It stinks.

Lisa said...

I am surprised to hear you say you are a late riser. I thought you always got up early; you used to walk Haley early.
Personally, I want to get the day started so it can end as soon as possible! I'd love a few hours of quiet time. I used to go in early, before most people even got out of bed, but now that I have 18 days...(yes days) of comp time, I try not to do that anymore.

D.B. Echo said...

Anonymous, I'm sure it was nice meeting you, too, though I'm not sure which of the many people I met that night you are! I tried to tune out the music, but I fear that His Holiness Pope George Ringo got caught in the middle of some shouting matches that were actually just normal conversations being held at abnormal volumes!


Anne, Lisa, I haven't actually started getting up earlier. It's true that I've been sleeping later than I used to back when Haley and I would go for our walks, but my first alarm still goes off at 5:00, and I'm generally out of bed by 6:00. It's a question of getting ready and out of the house by between 7:30 and 8:00 in the morning instead of between 8:45 and 9:15. Big sacrifice, I know! But what I am sacrificing is my morning online time. And that hurts!

Anonymous said...

Being one of the guiltiest of the
"need you to get me work" people
I appreciate you coming in early for my benefit. Erm, I also suspect I am one of the people you "help" in an intense way.
Thank You Harold, don't think it goes unnoticed. :)