Sunday, August 06, 2006

Day of defragmentation

Yesterday was a beautiful day, again. The weather broke just in time for me to mow my lawn and paint a little more of the porch. Yayyyy.

Unfortunately I didn't have time to get out to a local computer store to work on having one custom-designed to fit my needs. (Sorry, Gort.) But I did manage to run a scandisk and a defrag on my PC in Windows mode, since just running a scandisk in DOS mode last weekend didn't seem to do anything.

The scandisk took a few hours to run, and this is even after I had shut down everything else running in the background. But that was nothing compared to the defrag, which ran from about 3:30 yesterday afternoon to about 1:00 today - twenty-one and a half hours. Well, it's been a while since the last one.

Of course, as soon as I restarted the computer, out popped a flurry of errors. Oh, well. As long as this one lasts long enough for me to buy a new one and pull all my data off this one, I'll be happy.

2 comments:

Todd HellsKitchen said...

Ugh! Sounds like a nightmare!

I'm holding onto my current clunker with TLC until the Vista computers come out. (Whenever that is!)...

Meanwhile... I treat this one sooooo carefully. And hold a deep breath with every download...

Anonymous said...

Har, what year did computers come out, and now we are SO addicted to them, no? What did people do without the internet as well.....