Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Blogger and Categories

Mr. H.K. brought my attention to something I had missed: Blogger is making some major updates (currently only available in the "Blogger Beta" version), including the addition of a "Labels" feature - the functional equivalent of "Categories".

When I hear about longtime users leaving Blogger for other blogging platforms, one of the most frequently-cited reasons is the availability of Category labels and Blogger's lack of them. Category labels let you tag your posts for later grouping, so that users (including yourself) can browse through thematically-linked collections of posts. Blogger actually has a DIY approach to this, but it involves invoking several other programs and quite a bit of html editing - something I don't want to get into. Now it looks like soon there will be an easier way of applying these categories.

I've often thought about what categories I would use if I could. I've come up with a list, which is hardly comprehensive:
  • blogs
  • bloggers
  • blogging
  • pets
  • death
  • Haley
  • stargazing and skywatching
  • painting
  • photography
  • nature
  • music
  • Nanticoke
  • politics
  • rants
  • calls to action
  • an autobiography in 1,000,000 chapters
It's a start. Anyone have any other suggestions?

1 comment:

Doctor Rick said...

MY blog as its own category!