Sunday, February 05, 2006

Nunquam oro per stultus

Can anybody check my Latin? This has always been my motto, and I wondered what it might look like in Latin. I resorted to the first online translator I could locate. It may very well translate into "People called Romanes, they go, the house".

Actually, my motto is "There is no point in arguing with idiots." Some people think that if I argue with them it's because I think they're wrong and stupid. The opposite is true. As long as I keep an argument up, it means that I have hope not only of convincing them that my position is correct, but also of learning from them that their position is correct. Once I have determined that my opponent is both immune to rational argument and incapable of providing any insight to me, I will simply walk away. I'm just wasting my time and theirs, and getting both of us unnecessarily annoyed.

Geez. I could sure use some dialectical humor right about now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

You do not know how loud I laughed when I read this. EVERY single time you and I get into a discussion aka fight I think you talk to me like I am stupid.
I cannot believe you phrased it like that? Truly, this is so funny?

D.B. Echo said...

So now you know the truth. If I thought you were stupid, what would be the point of arguing? That would be like trying to change the color of the paint on your walls by shouting at it.

But now I suspect you will be watching closely for people with whom I will suddenly stop arguing. It does happen...and it's never a good sign.

Anonymous said...

I think that your blog has made me like you even more than I did just from knowing you. I just thought that needed to be said.