Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Ashes update

More than two weeks after the day I was about 80% certain he would die, my cat Ashes is still hanging in there.

That trip to the vet on January 24th was an eye-opener. Until that day I had convinced myself that Ashes was sick, and probably gradually dying, but wasn't in any imminent danger. After that visit I was seeing things in him I had allowed myself to overlook. And his behavior that day made me think that his life expectancy was measured in hours, or at best days.

That day the doctor provided us with a one-week supply of antibiotic liquid and a larger supply of a liquid nutrient. I think he was humoring me. I don't think he expected us to use much of either of them. He didn't want to send me away empty-handed, but he didn't want to foster any false hope.

Ashes survived that day and that night, and fought like a tiger the next day when we began his medication. He continues to fight every day.

We've taken other steps. We've segregated his food from the other cats so he can eat without being bothered, and without having to share. My mom did exhaustive research to determine exactly what he would and would not eat on his own, and now we have him on a diet of dry "Special Kitty" cat food and one of the twenty or so varieties of Turkey-based moist cat food available at the supermarket. We provide a constant supply of fresh water, and brush him for at least 45 minutes a day. I think the brushing has as much to do with his longevity as anything else, and in any case, he loves it tremendously.

So he's still eating, still drinking, still pooping, still insisting on getting brushed. He's not getting better - he's still losing weight each week - but the rate at which he's getting worse has definitely slowed tremendously.

No comments: