Sunday, December 18, 2005

Cookies are made

I got together with some friends yesterday and made cookies. I made a triple batch of Toll House batter, using the recipe from the back of the Nestle Toll House chips bag, and split it roughly in half. Half of it became my traditional chocolate chip oatmeal cookies (to the batter add copious amounts of chocolate chips, oatmeal, and milk), and the other half became a version of what I am calling "Monkeynut Cookies".

Monkeynut Cookies are the basic Toll House recipe with about half of the chocolate chips replaced with white chocolate, and chopped walnuts, pecans, and almonds added. The intent was to also throw in the residue of the ingredients for White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies, but Wegman's was out of Macadamia nuts in their bulk food section yesterday, so these cookies didn't get made. Wegman's was also out of Macadamia nuts today, but fortunately had some in jars in the canned nuts section. They were 50% more per unit weight than the bulk nuts, but this was not a problem because a) the more expensive jarred nuts were available, while the inexpensive loose nuts were not, and b) I just threw out a whole lot of rancid nuts from last year, so I have no business quibbling with myself over price. So today I will be making White Chocolate Macadamia Nut cookies and proper Monkeynut cookies!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

are you going to endulge me and tell me WHY you are calling them monkey-nut cookies? i be curious.
:)

marcoshark said...

Betz,
Now that you mentioned it... Yeah?

D.B. Echo said...

Can you think of a better name?

The "monkey" part came from this blog. The "nut" is because they have multiple types of nus, kinda like the Hershey's limited edition Nut Lovers bars (which aren't that great, really.) And since they have both white and semi-sweet dark chocolate in them, I wasn't going to call them "chocolate chip" anything. Plus "monkey" is an old term for "mess around with", and since these are just thrown-together cookies, it seemed appropriate. But really, I just like the sound of the word "monkeynuts".