Sunday, December 11, 2005

Christmas Cookie recipe

A friend of mine asked me to e-mail her this recipe. After I typed it out, I figured I may as well just post it to my blog. This is my grandmother's recipe, by way of my mother.

UPDATED 12/22/2010 to include 1/2 cup of milk in step 4.

My mom calls these "Sugar Cookies" because she usually tops them with colored sugar crystals. They are actually a sort of "shortbread cookie".

1. Preheat oven to 350 - 375 degrees (Fahrenheit - all these measures are in American units.)

2. In large bowl, mix these ingredients as for dough:
- 4 cups flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder (NOT baking soda)
- 1 cup shortening (like Crisco)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt

3. In separate bowl, mix together
- 1 heaping cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking soda

4. To sugar mixture, add
- 2 well-beaten eggs
- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla

5. Pour sugar mixture into flour mixture and mix until smooth. Roll out onto floured board and cut into desired shapes.

6. Place cookies on well-greased sheets. TOP WITH SUGAR CRYSTALS BEFORE BAKING. (If you are using icing, you may omit the sugar crystals; icing goes on after the cookies are baked.) Bake until just firm but not yet brown. If the cookies turn golden brown, they will be very crisp and brittle.

ICING
In small bowl combine butter, powdered sugar, and milk to desired consistency - should be a medium-thick paste. If adding food coloring, add before milk to avoid making the icing too thin.