Sunday, October 31, 2004

Blue Sundaze

I went to see a new band last night. Blue Sundaze is made up of the drummer and one of the guitarists from 3 Brix Shy, the guitarist's father on bass, and another guitarist who has a connection to the local band Black Dog (borne out by the fact that he was wearing their T-shirt.)

This was the first time in a long time that I've gone out to see a band, and it was fun. Blue Sundaze plays a mix of early rock, rockabilly, and classic rock, with a few more modern songs thrown in for good measure - songs that were also played by 3 Brix Shy, and which showcase the two alumni of that band.

I reprised my old role as band photographer - I had brought my cheap little APS camera, and the bassist had brought along a funky huge digital camera with a long zoom lens. One tip for aspiring band photographers: shooting the stage from a distance and over the heads of, say, three fans can easily create the illusion of a huge crowd in attendance.

I tend not to enjoy "oldies" rock as much as some, but I enjoyed the Blue Sundaze show. I generally think of "oldies" as stuff that's been on the radio since I was born, so I was surprised to hear them play a few "classic" songs that were only, say, 15 or so years old. Nothing that came out since I graduated from college can possibly be considered classic rock! It's modern stuff! Recent! Not old! Never old!

No comments: