Tuesday, October 19, 2004

Political and non-political humor

John Kerry was in Wilkes-Barre today. George Bush will be there later this week. Gosh, it's good to be loved. I can't wait until Election Day so we can be done with all this campaigning and get down to the lawsuits that will determine who will be our next President.

Kerry tried to tell a joke in Florida yesterday but he flubbed it. Here is what he meant to say. This is offered to his campaign free of charge.

"The Bush Administration's response to the flu vaccine crisis has been to adopt a faith-based health care approach: Pray that you don't get sick."

...which could then lead into the one about fighting a faith-based war, one based on belief in the existence of weapons of mass destruction rather than on evidence of their existence.

I spawned a new joke by myself yesterday. Well, I was fed the setup line, but the response was entirely mine. It was supposed to be an example of the sort of joke told at a party attended primarily by college professors:

How many college professors does it take to screw in a light bulb?
None. That's what graduate students are for.


I'm sure someone's come up with that before, but it's nice to imagine that it's an entirely new joke. Maybe my friend (the one who fed me the setup) will get to try it out at his college professor friend's upcoming party.

No comments: