Friday, January 25, 2008

Damn, Wish I Was Your Lover

I was just poking around on YouTube looking for a video that I plan to post on January 28th. It's related to yesterday's post, and January 28th is significant to the singer-songwriter. (You now have more than enough clues to identify the song, or at least the singer, especially if you have the Life In Hell 2008 Calendar.)

Anyway. Thinking of, and watching, and hearing this song put me in mind to some other drum-and-bass-heavy songs by female singer-songwriters. In particular, "Damn, Wish I Was Your Lover" by the gorgeous and talented Sophie B. Hawkins. Here is the ultra-sexxxay version of the video, as (allegedly) posted by Sophie B. herself:



I remember this version, or at least parts thereof, from back in the days when MTV still showed the occasional music video. It may have been intercut with this version, which is less sexxxay, but makes certain points about Sophie B.'s sexuality somewhat less opaque. Maybe. None of this is intended to detract from the fact that this is a damn fine song.

And if you're into the drums and the bass and the female singer-songwriters, here's Fiona Apple with "Sleep to Dream". (She's a little too skinny and strung-out looking for my tastes, but, hey, like I would ever have a chance with either of these women?)



Enjoy!

3 comments:

Michelle HD said...

I got to see Fiona Apple back in 2000 when she played at the Kirby. That was a damn good show.

anne said...

You HAVE HAVE HAVE to go to youtube and check out the performance Fiona Apple does with Elvis Costello of I Want You. Probably one of the best and most distubing perfomances of any songs I've ever seen. I actually intend to post the video on my blog one of these days...

D.B. Echo said...

Anne, I spent most of that video - especially the closeups - worried that Fiona Apple was going to use her microphone stand to smash through my monitor and then kill me with her bare hands.

Wow.