Sunday, August 26, 2018

Thinning out

The transition at work continues, and my workplace is getting emptier and emptier. Several people have already left to begin their work-from-home positions. Several others are burning up some vacation time in anticipation of a future where scheduling vacation might be much more difficult. Other people have chosen to leave to pursue other opportunities.

As for me, I am bound to ride this out to the end to get my full payout of bonuses and severance. My nearly six and a half years in the travel business will come to an end on the last day of September. With luck I will be able to roll right into another position somewhere, possibly even one that will last for fifteen to twenty years.

Do such jobs even exist anymore? When I started at Specialty Records in 1992 I was twenty-four. I survived the transition to WEA Manufacturing, to Time-Warner, to AOL Time Warner, and to CINRAM. I was forty-four when I left CINRAM and joined Travelocity. Our facility was later taken over by WNS, and at fifty I am dealing with the facility closing now. How long will the next job last? How old will I be when that one ends?

1 comment:

James O said...

I had 2 jobs that each spanned sixteen years. Since then a mix of part time and full time jobs. I work 7 days a week and Ave a lot of control over my hours but not my life. The upside is I learn something every day. Good luck transitioning this fall. It can be e bumpy.