Saturday, August 18, 2018

Fourteen on the right, fourteen on the left...


I have a bunch of things I should be doing, and a pair of longform posts I want to write. I haven't done any of these things, for...reasons. So instead, here's something that happened this morning.

I woke up thinking about the lyrics to an old song I used to hear as a kid on WNAK. I never understood the lyrics then, now could I make most of them out. I remember a chorus singing something like "...lord take me home. Fourteen on the right, fourteen on the left, take me to my lucky day...I lost my bet." I figured it was the Johnny Mann Singers, but had never thought more about the song.

I woke up thinking about it. And then I thought: inches from you is a device that can scour information services from across the globe to find the answer to this question. What are you waiting for? So I typed in what I could remember, and within seconds, I had the answer.

The song is "One Paddle, Two Paddle." Written by Kuiokalani Lee (a very interesting guy - you should read up on him) and a hit for Don Ho, the version I recalled was actually by the Ray Coniff Singers. The reason I couldn't make out the lyrics is because some of them were in Hawaiian.

One paddle, two paddle, three paddle for to take me home

Fourteen on the right, fourteen on the left
take me to Hawaii nei

A No ka best

So, that's one of life's little mysteries solved.


Written by: KUIOKALANI LEE
Lyrics © Warner/Chappell Music, Inc.

"One Paddle, Two Paddle Lyrics." Lyrics.com. STANDS4 LLC, 2018. Web. 18 Aug. 2018. <https://www.lyrics.com/lyric/1337941/>.

1 comment:

Alvinurse said...

Yes I know how important these things are.